Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Mellben Seafood Restaurant

Highly recommended by several friends. We finally found the time and occasion to visit this famous seafood restaurant. I was told there were 2 branches, one in Ang Mo Kio and the other one in Toa Payoh Lorong 8. Since this meal was organised by our dear Serene, we ate at TPY branch.

IMG_0089

The queue started around 6pm. By the time all of us have arrived, there were about 10 groups waiting in line just to get a seat. I heard some times the waiting time can be about 1 hr long. The amount of time Singaporeans devote to food is quite crazy at times…

Actually I think some of the best food in Singapore are those which are not very fancy about their presentation. Food quality is still the best way to retain customers.

IMG_0091

IMG_0092

IMG_0096

Yam in scallop. This is a $4 each scallop wrapped in yam. The yam is fried to perfection, not oily and retained the fragrance of it’s origin. I’ve tried yam where the taste is nothing but stale oil. This is good.

IMG_0102

Pataya Dancing Fish. Sorry, not much comment on the fish (you will know why if you are my friend). However, I have to mention that the onion is surprisingly tasty.

IMG_0099

The only non-seafood dishes we ordered were Mixed Mushroom Vegetables and Herbal Chicken.

IMG_0100

IMG_0106

Wasabi Prawns with mango dices. I think the chef did a great job in preparing this prawn dish, as in the wasabi did not cover the freshness of the prawn but yet still able to give us the ‘almost tearing’ effect. Personally I feel the mango is slightly too sweet.

IMG_0105

Last but not least, the main purpose of this makan trip. Crabs! We ordered 2 different kinds of crabs. Chilli Crab & Golden Sand Crab.

IMG_0104

IMG_0097

My verdict: I think the food here is a bit over-rated. Some of the dishes are okay, but I was a bit disappointed by the crabs. Maybe I should try the Butter Crab next time.

Address:
Block 211 Lorong 8 Toa Payoh #01-11-15

Opening Hours:
Daily, 1:30pm – 10:45pm

No comments:

Post a Comment